Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Only Us


Only Us


What started out as a spectacular day now felt like hell on earth. I should never have brought him with me on those trips outside. I knew that if ‘the Queen’ found out that we were going to the common people’s area (which she calls the Peasants’ World), instead of going to school, then we were going to have to suffer the consequences. I knew the risks, but the urge to do the forbidden was too powerful to resist.
        
By the time I came home from the usual trip outside, it was already sunset. I turned to look at the sun, mesmerized. It was so stunning; it seems as if it can go on being like that forever. It was a perfect end to a magnificent day.
             
It turned out that the day wasn’t over yet. As soon as I stepped in the door, Reiji and I were summoned to see her, the Queen – our mother. The only other time this happened was when she found out that our nursemaid was giving us food from McDonalds. The next thing we knew, she was packing her bags. She was the closest thing to a mother we’ve ever had. The moment we entered her office, we knew we were doomed to relive the horrors of that interrogation session.
           
“The school called me today,” she began stiffly. I risked a glance at Reiji. To an ordinary person, he would have looked like his normal self, ever so calm and serene. But I’m not an ordinary person. I am his sister and his best friend. I know him better than anyone else. I know that if his eyes turn from the normal ice blue to a darker sapphire colour he is stressed out and nervous. And now his eyes were getting darker by the second.
            
“It seems like both of you were away for a number of days. That’s strange. I don’t remember either of you getting sick,” she said, eyes narrowing dangerously.
            
“We weren’t,” whispered Reiji.
            
“Where were you then?” she demanded. No use in lying now. She always found out in the end.
            
“We were outside,” I admitted reluctantly. I counted silently in my head. One, two, three-
            
“You were outside? In the Peasants’ World?!” she exploded, “What if our enemies found out that you, the heirs of MRI corporation, were out in the streets? It would have ruined our reputation!”
            
“That’s all you ever think about! Our status, the company, what others think about us! Why can’t you think about what we feel for once?” snapped Reiji. His eyes weren’t a dark sapphire anymore. They were an inky blue colour. He was angry. He was very, very angry.
            
She stared at him, shocked to hear an outburst from the typically quiet Reiji. “How dare you-“
            
“How dare I? How dare I? I’m sick of you telling me what to do! It’s always ‘Do this, do that’. Stop trying to make us into what we’re not! I HATE YOU!” he yelled. He ran out of the door before we could do a thing.
            
“Reiji, wait!” I called as I ran after him. The Queen was screaming at us to stop, but she was ignored.
           
I ran after Reiji, but he got a good head start. After a few minutes, it started raining. And we still kept running. At last, he slowed down, and then stopped. I jogged to him, panting. By the time I got close enough I saw that he was crying.
            
I sat down beside him. He only ever cried in front of me, no one else. When he hurt himself when he was little, he would hold back the tears until we were alone. I waited quietly, not saying a word. Finally, he spoke.
            
“I hate my life. I can’t be myself, or do anything I want,” he murmured.
            
“Hate is such a strong word,” I said softly.
            
“Why can’t she just leave us alone?”
            
“It’s her nature, I guess. All mothers are like that, you know, always fussing about their children.”
            
“But she’s forcing us to become these fake people who only care about how much money they have or how high up they are on the social ladder.”
            
“She’s just doing what she thinks is best for us.”
            
“But it’s not,” he said, looking at me.
            
“No,” I admitted, “it’s not. Nevertheless, that’s not something we should hate her for. Remember, she still thinks you’re going to be like Dad and become the next person to lead the company.”
            
“I don’t want to.”
            
“Then you have to tell her.”
            
“I guess you’re right,” he sighed.
            
“Come on then. If we stay here any longer, police will be searching for us,” I yawned, stretching. I held my hand out to him. He hesitated for a second, but then smiled and hauled himself up. “Oh, look. A meteor shower,” I said, pointing my finger towards the sky, “Make a wish, Rei.”
            
While we were talking, the rain had stopped and turned into a clear, starry sky. Somehow, I just knew that everything would be all right.

The End


This is a story I wrote in year 9...just thought to put it up here for fun~
Whoever is reading this, comment please ;D 

1 comment:

  1. cant wait to see the next part if you make one!

    (piglet) =D

    ReplyDelete